News from Anti-fashion Super Hero, Rhondah Rhombus

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The inspiration suitcase, that's so heavy it hurts my back.

Hi peeps.

Well today was the day (and i'm still in the midst of it) of cleaning out my bedroom to make way for some new furniture and a more efficient work/sleep environment. Yes.. since my computer is in my bedroom it's all I do in here. working and sleeping.

I have a giant paper recycling bin because I accumulate a lot of useless paper.. I was going through a big stash of magazines that I got sent but haven't opened (I went to a conference and apparently that gives me no option but to be sent a giant magazine every two weeks.) And instead of just chucking them out I decided to go through and salvage any pretty pictures or illustrations that might be part of ads. Who knows what I might find..

Well I only found a few pages I wanted out of about 8 mags, but I suppose it was worth it.

I immediately cut some pictures out and used them to make these plain brown notepads a bit more fun..
I am slightly addicted to little notepads, anything I can put in my bag and take everywhere. No#1 lesson as a creative person is, you NEVER know when inspiration can strike. Also like to carry around my black ink pen. If not for inspiration, it's useful for making lists. I make lists constantly. I would just sit here and find it all too overwhelming and get nothing done if I didn't make lists.
notepads
A great place to buy these notepads is at $3 Japan, on Queen st in auckland, next to Burger Fuel. They sell all sorts of useful things, including rolls of coloured felt. Irresistable to the crafter in you. The great thing is, I'm usually in town at night, and they're open to 10pm! Yes..that's an idea for all you other auckland shops! Everything closes early it seems in Auckland. Anyway..
junk pots

I have got there these felt pencil holders (and general junk holders) too. They are indispensable.

erasers yumm

I also bought there once these novelty food erasers. Haven't used them very much yet they are too pretty. You can take them apart like puzzles.

So, Anywoo, once I have these scraps of pictures and things, sometimes bits of material (but only little, cos I have a different place to keep material) I put them in this massive leather old suitcase. I had to drag it out to the centre of my room today, this takes a lot of effort, i'm sure it's about 20kgs.
closed suitcase
Here it is, the inspiration suitcase.
open suitcase

Inside, behold it's wonders.

The suitcase has a history, it was used by my mother, a midwife when she used to take it filled with 'delivery stuff' to people's home births. Yes..hippy home births! She still does these occasionally.. but she has a more nifty bag now.


And before I used it for pictures, my sister used it for pictures and stuff, and before that, I used it in a stage play of 'bugsy malone' when I played Blousey, leaving town with my suitcase packed..

One very useful item is my old National Geographics. I have had these ones for ages, and they have been well cut up, torn out, but STILL they produce gems of colour, pictures, expressions.

I cut a badge

I have used this page to make a badge.


wolf

Choice wolf photos. Wolves are so cool eh.

wolves kissing

Wolves kissing. Or something. I'm hoping it's affectionate.

swimming pages

Mutilated pages still hold fragments of goodness.

water chess game

These men are playing chess in a swimming pool.

we're close

Interesting people from around the world. Brilliant photography. I use these for making cards sometimes, or wrapping paper.
Something about the old printing techniques that have a unique quality to them. Less glossy, more dotty, but better blues. my sister knows about this. You should check her blog if you haven't already. She's like, an artistic genius. And she can control the weather too. And she can feel colours. I think there's a word for that but it's escaped me. Oh yes.. synesthasia or something (spelt wrong I'm sure.) Oh and she's an ACE cook, and has LOTS of recipes for unusual things. She likes to cook with colour.

Some of the goodness I found in the magazines:

owl woman

Owl woman.

rabbits

Many many bunnies.

monsters

Monsters

fairyland

An old scrap my friend gave me, from an old fairytale book.


On a completely different note, as I was going through these magazines I have since thrown out, I found an article on a girl who I thought looked interesting. I looked her up on itunes, and I have just bought her album. It's nice and good. I like the song 'A Bird's Song.' Her name is Ingrid Michaelson. She is 28 and from New york I think. Ahh new york. I'm going there for 6 months in september. Yeah! Hoping to find a house sitting job, all fingers and toes crossed. It's soo expensive to flat there.

Ok, fingers crossed about the threadless entry! Eeek!!

~Rhondah~

2 comments:

kimberlee said...

oh yes, the suitcase is full of wonders!

well done, and 3 dollar japan is also great for buying strange gifts for your friends.

lily, rosemary and the jack of hearts said...

i love $3 japan too, I have a felt pencil holder like you one from there also but mine is cream with red trees. Can't get enough of the place. It's great for baking supplies too.

Thank you for the shirt yesterday- it went down a treat but is slightly too big- would I pretty please be able to swap the size? I'm no good at guessing boys sizing.