News from Anti-fashion Super Hero, Rhondah Rhombus

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mystery Cookies - Who stole the country from the cookie jar?

My dear readers.
I am sorry to disappoint those waiting for the video post, but rest assured it is coming. In the meantime, I bring to you a pressing concern.
A friend of mine is currently in Belgium. When I heard this news, I promptly advised him to try and find the real authentic versions of my favourite biscuit - The belgian biscuit. Here in nz we can get them in most supermarkets and a few great cafes, like Agnes Curran on Ponsonby road. (Complete with a doily.)
A classic example of this delicious biscuit. For those who haven't tried - the biscuit bit tastes a bit like cinnamon and sweet spices. It's not particularly sweet though, that's why it's sandwiched with raspberry jam and layered with white icing and jelly crystals sprinkled on top. Take care not to sprinkle too early or they will just make the icing turn pink, and loose their crystally goodness.

Agnes Curran is a tiny cafe just on the corner of Franklin road and ponsonby road in Auckland. It used to be a french clothing outlet, now it's home to some of the finest china and teacozys auckland has to offer. The colour scheme is just brilliant, and the staff are friendly too. I once had a hot chocolate there, and before I had a chance to drink it, the guy took it away again cos he was worried it wasn't going tot be hot enough. Sweet heart. Another thing I like about Agnes is there is one big long table in the middle where people sit around, and a few tiny two seaters around the edges and in the window. All sorts of people hang out there. And there are usually lots of exotic dog breeds waiting outside for owners to finish their jammy scones. (pronounced as in 'cone' not 'on'.)Agne's homemade lammingtons.

So. I ask you dear reader. Where on earth to Belgium biscuits come from? Apparently not from Belgium. My friend Alex suggests we in NZ have been subject to another case of geographical misrepresentation, much like the cases of the 'french fry', the 'danish pastry' and the 'english charm.' Hmm.

Any comments or enlightenment would be MOST helpful.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this pressing concern,

~Rhondah

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh you are so sweet! the Belgian biscuits are called 'speculaas' in the Flemish part of Belgium -where I'm from, but where they come from... I will do research! Hey and I will get you a GOOD recipe for them, from my mum who makes them awesomely!!!
And R, Agnes C is my FAVORITE cafe, I live only two streets down from it!!!
LOVE YOUR BLOG!
XXX Lies

Mat said...

Dear Rhondah

I was wondering if the omission of Afghan biscuits was deliberate?
They are another New Zild staple, of geographical misplacement in the title case.

What do we make of this hithero un-earthed pantry trend?

anotherweather said...

kimberlee and lies, i would like your mum's recipe please.
Where does the pink jelly crystal thing come from?, must be a replica of someit else, like.
Rhonda, please send me one, toot sweet.

Rhondah Rhombus said...

Hmm I think Afghan biscuits ARE another case of geographical misrepresentation. Uh oh, these poor culturally confused cookies!

Rhondah Rhombus said...

Yay I can't wait for the Speculaas recipe! Maybe the jelly crystals are a later edition to the old recipe. I think they're the best part though.. and similar to those cocktails with the crystals round the edge, that we used to make with raro. mmm.

Bernadette said...

mmm I love Belgium biscuits, thanks for posting this, I guess I just assumed they were from Belgium...